If your perspective of history is limited to the American experience, then I guess you’d be the kind of person who finds Ronald Reagan to be the king of #YOLO, or Richard Nixon to be #fierce. But for those of us who have a slightly broader scope, there’s no question that Roman Emperor Caligula (d. 41 CE) was the undisputed Emperor of #SWAG. Here are his 8 swaggiest bro moments:
8. When he had his 18 year old cousin and adopted son, Tiberius Gemellus, executed to remove a potential rival.
7. When his grandmother, Antonia Minor, “killed herself” in despair over Tiberius Gemellus’ execution, but really Caligula probably poisoned her.
6. The time he started auctioning off the lives of gladiators in the arena in order to refill his exhausted treasury.
5. When he started falsely accusing citizens of crimes and either fining them or executing them and seizing their estates.
4. The time he totally did it with Helen Mirren.
3. When he ordered the Senate and people to worship him as a living god.
2. When he ordered sham treason investigations of the Roman Senate and had several senators put to death on trumped-up charges.
1. When his behavior got so crazy that he was assassinated by his own guards, who replaced him with character actor Derek Jacobi.
CALIGULA: Emperor of #SWAG